Sunday, May 31, 2015

SPAGHETTI SQUASH PASTA RECIPE

SPAGHETTI SQUASH PASTA
(This recipe has 10 servings of vegetables in the entire recipe!) 


I focus on eating all of my vegetables before 4pm.  I often bring giant epic salads to work.
Salads are delicious but they can get boring, so I made this pasta recipe with VEGGIES ONLY. 


INGREDIENTS:
1 spaghetti squash
1 zucchini
1 small container of baby bella mushrooms
1 cup organic spaghetti sauce (or tomato puree)
1 branch kale(optional)
*Spices and oils depending on your preference



STEP 1:  Preheat your oven to 450 F. 
I have covered my oven safe pan with aluminum foil and lightly sprayed Coconut Oil.



STEP 2: Cut the spaghetti squash in half 
and "gut" the seeds. I traced my spoon around the perimeter and scooped it out as best as I could.


STEP 3: Bake the squash
After your oven has heated, place your squash on you pan and bake it for 40 minutes.  I personally don't add anything to the squash but olive, salt, or pepper could be added at this point.


STEP 4: Prep your veggies
While the squash is baking prep and chop your veggies.  I have 1 zucchini(2 cups zucchini)  and 2 cups baby bella mushrooms. Chop veggie size to your preference.


STEP 5: Season. 
Throw your chopped veggies on a skillet on a low setting. I use a low setting because I don't want to cook out all of the nutrients and I prefer to eat my food in a close to natural state.  
Add your spices, I used Red Pepper and Garlic Powder, 
this is where you can get creative and add whatever you like!


STEP 6: Strain and Sauce
Strain the excess liquid from your pan and add your sauce.  
I opted for an organic no sugar added tomato sauce.  
You could even be healthier and puree your own tomato paste.  
1 cup sauce was all I needed. 


STEP 7: Get creative. 
My creative juices tend to flow when I'm food prepping. 
I decided to chop up 1 branch of fresh kale and add it to the mix. 
I have never made it this way before but it tasted delicious!


STEP 8: 
Pull your squash out of the over and let it cool down. 
Your veggies and sauce can sit at a low setting.


STEP 9: Add Squash
Add squash after your squash has cooled add it to the pan. 
I measured it out and there are approximately 4 CUPS in just one spaghetti squash.
That's 4 servings of veggies in one squash!!!


STEP 10: Done!
Stir it in and you are done.  You can add more sauce if needed.


PORTION IT OUT!
I split it up between 5 BPA free containers.
I'm going to bring these for my lunch Mon-Fri this week.
You can even add cheese to make it more like a traditional pasta!

LET'S RECAP:
2 CUP ZUCCHINI
2 CUP MUSHROOM
1 CUP TOMATO SAUCE
4 CUP SQUASH
1 CUP KALE

THAT EQUALS 10 VEGETABLE SERVINGS!
I SPLIT THIS UP INTO 5 CONTAINERS 
SO EVERYDAY I WILL HAVE 2 SERVINGS OF VEGGIES IN MY LUNCH.

THANKS FOR READING
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS PLEASE SHARE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment